Thursday, December 11, 2008

Let's Go Bowling...

Gone are the days when your school qualifying for a college football bowl game actually meaning something. The proliferation of bowl games means everyone with a half-decent record or a large contingent of traveling fans goes to a bowl game. Recent additions include the EagleBank Bowl, San Diego County Credit Union Poinsettia Bowl and my personal favorite, the prestigious Meineke Car Care Bowl. I didn't even make those up -- they are real bowl games.

If we're going to keep adding more bowl games, I respectfully submit these new names that adhere to truth in advertising standards:
  • The Contrived Sponsorship Opportunity Bowl
  • The Excuse For Alumni to Go Somewhere Warm and Drink Bowl
  • The At Least You're Over .500 Bowl
  • The Popular But Mediocre Teams Bowl
  • The Scrounging For Tourism Dollars Bowl

I'd list more, but I can't concentrate. I'm too excited thinking about the upcoming Papajohns.com Bowl.

No comments: